Idaho Inmate Search

Idaho Inmate Search

The State of Idaho provides the public with multiple alternatives for obtaining records about inmate prison through online platforms. The inmate record contains the name of the inmates, date of birth, inmate number, criminal records, and even detention location. Supporting records may include the date of release, sentencing county, court records, or sum of bail bond according to the interest of the requestor. All inmates’ records are open to the public as attested by the Idaho Public Records Law Manual and the Idaho Public Records Act.

How do I find an inmate in Idaho?

Idaho inmate search can be performed by using the Idaho Department of Correction (IDOC) offender search database. The function operates to serve the public with information about Idaho inmates currently under the Department’s jurisdiction. Besides inmates who are incarcerated, on probation, or on parole, it also provides a list of felony convictions that an inmate serves time for.

If an individual specifically wants to find an inmate with sex offender records, such as sexual assault, sexual abuse, etc. they can utilize the Idaho Sex Offender Registry option on the Idaho State Police (ISP) website.

Finding an inmate in county jail

Most small county jails will need individuals to directly contact the County Sheriff’s Office for their inmate lists, this includes Bannock County, Owyhee County, Bonner County, and more. However, county jails with larger inmate populations will most likely use an online inmate locator or provide a jail inmate list on their website. For instance, the top county jails in Idaho based on inmate populations are Ada County Jail, Canyon County Jail, and Kootenai County Jail.

Ada County Jail

This county has a maximum capacity of 1224 and an average of more than 860 daily inmate count. With the huge amount of inmate population ranging from minimum to maximum security level, Ada County Idaho inmate search option can be conducted by only providing the first letter of the inmate’s last name on their inmate roster.

Canyon County Jail

Currently housing around 376 inmates out of 523 inmates at maximum capacity, this county jail is the second most populated county jail in Idaho. The county’s website provides a Jail Roster to help individual narrow down the inmate list under their arrest by entering the offender’s name or by clicking on the letters and search by the last name. The roster list will include all detainees currently housed in Canyon County Jail and the Canyon County Work Release Center.

Kootenai County Jail

The Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office offers a different approach for the public to find inmates within their custody. Instead of using a jail roster or an offender search feature, the Kootenai County Jail provides an In-Custody Report section for its users. This includes the complete current list of inmates, wanted felony report, wanted misdemeanor report, and daily press log.

Where are Idaho inmates housed?

The Idaho Department of Correction has administrative authority over inmates confined in prisons, jails community reentry centers, and out-of-state facilities that the state has a contract with. On top of that, IDOC also oversees Idaho’s 37 county jails spread throughout the state along with one private Idaho prison.

The following are locations of prisons and community reentry centers that house inmates.


  1. Correctional Alternative Placement Program (CAPP)
  2. Idaho Maximum Security Institution (IMSI)
  3. Idaho State Correctional Center (ISCC)
  4. Idaho State Correctional Institution (ISCI)
  5. South Boise Women’s Correctional Center (SBWCC)
  6. South Idaho Correctional Institution (SICI)
  7. North Idaho Correctional Institution (NICI)
  8. Idaho Correctional Institution-Orofino (ICIO)
  9. Pocatello Women’s Correctional Center (PWCC)

Out-of-state Prison

  1. Saguaro Correctional Center

Community Reentry Centers

  1. East Boise Community Reentry Center
  2. Treasure Valley Community Reentry Center
  3. Idaho Falls Community Reentry Center
  4. Nampa Community Reentry Center

How to contact an inmate in Idaho?

IDOC has provided 4 ways for outside parties to keep in touch with the inmate.

Sending a mail to an Idaho inmate

Individuals can send letters via mail to Idaho inmates provided that the mail must be addressed with the inmate’s full name, IDOC number, institution, and housing assignment. Mails that poses no procedural complications will be processed and distributed within 24 hours of receipt on weekdays. Individuals can further read the guidelines for sending mail, as well as prohibited mail/items and prohibited sexually explicit and pornographic material.

Sending e-message/email to an inmate in Idaho

E-messaging service is accessible at most Idaho correctional facilities given that the sender knows the inmate’s IDOC number. This feature enables individuals to communicate with the inmate via secure email and receive return messages through a Kiosk service. Depending on the facility, individuals may be able to send a photo or video attachments as long as it does not oppose any of the facility’s regulations. This option is provided through JPay, a partner of CenturyLink, and can be set up on the JPay website.

Sending a voicemail to an inmate in Idaho

Idaho Department of Correction approves the usage of CenturyLink voicemail service using the same Prepaid Collect Calling Plan used to receive phone calls. This service however is only a one-way product used by outside parties to relay a message to an inmate in a short time. Voicemail is mostly used to share important news that the inmate needs to hear as soon as possible or to inform the inmate to call at a different time. In the interest of sending a voicemail to an Idaho inmate, the individual must:

  1. Establish a Prepaid Collect Calling Plan which is the same plan used to receive regular inmate phone calls.
  2. Acquire phone number affiliated with the Prepaid Collect Calling Plan and inmate’s IDOC number
  3. Call 208-258-3670 and follow the given instructions.

Setting up a video visit to an inmate in Idaho

Similar to the email, most institution under the jurisdiction of the Idaho Department of Correction allows video visits from outside individual to an inmate. This service is also provided by Jpay for the convenience of family members or attorneys to visit, either at the facility or remotely in their home or office. Further information on how this service works can be found in the Jpay Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

How do you find out the release date of an inmate in Idaho?

By utilizing the Offender Search feature on the IDOC’s webpage, individuals can get information on Idaho inmate search. Information given regarding individuals who are current detainees in correctional facilities in Idaho may include the case number, the release date, the name of prisoners, the charges, and the sentencing county.

Can I send a care package to an inmate in Idaho?

The Department of Correction of Idaho has approved a third-party vendor, Access SecurePak, to send care packages to an inmate on an individual’s behalf. To purchase items from the SecurePak website, users will need to provide a seven-digit inmate’s IDOC number by adding one or two zeros to the beginning of their number depending on how long the original IDOC number is.

What can you send inmates in Idaho prisons?

Send mail/card to inmates in Idaho

Idaho inmates are eligible to receive letters and mail from their loved ones as soon as they arrive at the facility. A detainee can also receive 4″x6″ photographs (maximum 20 non-instant, non-Polaroid photos, with no nudity or sexually suggestive content), and greeting cards (cannot contain padding, multiple layers, electronic features, or lamination with a size no larger than 8″x10″).

Send money to inmates in Idaho

The IDOC prepares a system called Access Corrections for families to send money to inmates. The function accepts money in various ways including cashier’s check, money order, cash deposit, personal check, credit, or debit card with either Mastercard or Visa. Thus, individuals may deposits money to an inmate’s trust account through phone, online, or an authorized retailer. More information regarding the process can be read on the Department’s webpage or Access Corrections’ website.

How do I apply for the Visitation of an inmate in Idaho?

Inmates are required to request a visitation application form from their detention center or visitor can get it from the IDOC website. The application form should be mailed to the potential visitors to be filled. It is the visitor’s full responsibility to read through and fully comply with the visitation rules and guidelines put out by the Idaho Department of Corrections.

Individuals under the age of 17 will be considered a minor and must require a parent or legal guardian to accompany them for their visits. The minor application form can be obtained from the Department’s website. Guardian accompanying the minor will need to submit a separate visiting adult application form.

Completed forms can be mailed or delivered directly to the specified facility housing the inmate, stating the offender’s full name and IDOC number. The addresses of the prisons under the administration of the Department of Correction can be found on the Prison Location on their website.

The processing time for the visitation application may take at least 6 weeks from the date of submission. Approved individuals will need to schedule a visiting time with the facility housing the inmate. The visiting day and time differ from one facility to another, therefore it is wise for individuals to check out the Visiting Hours link on the IDOC website before setting a visiting time.

What are the visitation rules?

Once an individual is approved, they are required to understand and comply with all the visiting rules laid out by the IDOC. A simple summary that visitors must comply with are:

  1. Visitors over the age of 16 must provide valid and current photo identification(ID);
  2. Visitors must wear garments that are conservative and modest, along with proper underclothing, and no bare feet.
  3. No cell phones, beepers, laptop/palm computers, cameras, or other electronic devices are allowed.
  4. Disrespectful or aggressive behavior will not be tolerated by the IDOC and may lead to visitors being escorted out or suspended from visiting.
  5. Parent or guardian escorting minors must supervise and provide appropriate control of the child and take responsibility for the child’s misbehavior.
  6. The visiting application needs to be renewed annually.