Washington Inmate Search

Washington Inmate Search

The Washington State Department of Corrections or WA DOC is the government organization that manages the inmates in Washington and all of it’s counties. They maintain records of the person who committed the crime, whether it’s a registered sex offender or a regular burglar. These incarcerated individuals are sent to different correctional facilities where their crimes took place. You can use their inmate locator to look for certain individuals and know the prison location of where they’re serving their time. Any victim can also use this search to be informed of any status changes to the prisoner.

How Do I Find An Inmate In Washington?

The WA DOC has an online search tool that enables all of the citizens to lookup an inmate as long as they have the DOC number. The DOC number is a 6 digit identification number that’s issued to any prisoner at any jail or correctional facility they’re assigned to. You can also contact the WA DOC to obtain any information about visitation rules, specific incarcerated individuals, posting bail or the offender’s custody status changes.

If the inmate that you’re looking for is housed in a local jail, you can try contacting the Washington County Sheriff’s Office or other local county jails to get more information or to check the jail roster and see if the person that you’re looking for is there. Their local websites will also have a search capability that can help you find the person that you’re looking for.

For any changes to an inmates’ custody status, crime victims can subscribe to an advanced notification from the WA DOC. For those in King County, they can use the SAVIN service for that county only. For other places like Washington County jail or Pierce County jail, they can utilize the Washington Statewide SAVIN service.

Where Are Washington Inmates Housed? 

Depending on the crime done, inmates can be housed in any detention facility, up to the state’s maximum-security prisons. One example is the Washington State Penitentiary, which supervisees the state’s most dangerous inmates, convicted of multiple felonies. The incarceration of these individuals puts all of our concerned citizens at ease, knowing that these people are out of the streets. Those with misdemeanor cases are sent to a county jail to serve their time.

Washington State currently has 12 prison facilities with custody levels for minimum level up to maximum level inmates. Among those 12, there are 2 correctional facilities only for women inmates.

Here are some of the county jails in Washington

  1. King County Jail – This facility currently houses around 2,900 inmates. It has an adult detention facility and another one for juvenile inmates. Currently, it only allows video visitation for family, friends and attorneys. A King County prison inmate search can be done through their website or contact them at (206) 296-1234.
  2. Jefferson County Jail – Currently housing around 1,300 inmates, that supports minimum, medium and maximum security units and special housing areas. Inmates are allowed up to 3 20-minute onsite visits per week depending on the inmate’s classification and housing unit. They also have remote visitations available. A Jefferson County prison inmate search can be done on their website or try calling them at (303)-271-5444
  3. Pierce County Jail – can hold up to 1,700 inmates in it’s facility between their main and new jail buildings. Family and friends must schedule 7 days in advance before visiting, and anyone caught breaking the rules can have their visiting privileges suspended. If planning to do a Pierce County prison inmate search, check their website or you can call them at their main jail number  (253)798-4590 or at their new jail number (253) 798-4590.
  4. Yakima County Jail – can house up to 1,000 inmates in its facilities. Each inmate is allowed 2 30-minute visitations per week, and scheduling must be done 1 day in advance for friends and family members and they need to call 509-574-2929 to schedule. No weekends or holiday visitations allowed. A Yakima County prison inmate search is available on their website.

How Do You Contact An Inmate In Washington?

The WA DOC allows prisoners to connect with their loved ones and friends by providing access to telephones with reasonable telephone prices. Only inmates are allowed to call, if you’re wondering where the funds are, it’ll be provided by their family members or close friends.

For family members and friends, there’s no verification process or application that’s needed to be able to get phone calls from an inmate. For inmates, they will be provided with an Inmate Personal Identification Number or IPIN. Each inmate will be held responsible for every call made using their IPIN. For their friends or family members, it’s not a requirement for them to know the inmate’s IPIN to fund any phone account for them.

Each inmate is supplied with a Personal Allowed Number or PAN list. They can have a maximum of 25 contacts on their list, and it’s their responsibility in maintaining it. In the event that the inmate will be transferred to a different facility, the PAN will also be transferred over.

Inmates that have any hearing or speech disabilities will have access to a Telecommunications Device for the Deaf, also called TDD. All conversations that any given inmate will do is recorded as per the DOC Policy 450.200 Telephone Use by Offenders, to avoid doing any criminal activity while in jail and to protect the public as well, especially for high profile inmates. If any inmate will violate the rules stated in the policy, rights to any telephone privileges can be revoked permanently or until further notice.

How To Contact The Washington Department of Corrections?

To get in touch with the WA DOC, you can go in person to their office from Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. You can also call them or send them an email or if you prefer doing things the old fashioned way, you can send them a letter to their mailing address.

How Do You Find Out The Release Date Of An Inmate In Washington? 

You can find details about an inmate’s release date by contacting the WA DOC, or the local sheriff’s office.

Can I Send A Care Package To An Inmate In Washington?

You can’t just simply send a package to an inmate. The court has mandated a set of rules to be followed before a package can be sent to an inmate. The purpose of this is to maintain the safety and security in all of the correctional facilities, preventing any circulation of illegal items in and out.

A package must be wrapped or boxed and will have to follow strict instructions. Books must be sent by the publication itself and has a list of approved publications and guidelines that it needs to meet first.

What Can You Send Inmates In Washington Prisons?

Inmates can also receive a gift package from their family or friends once a month, or a package that the inmates ordered themselves, but they can’t get both in the same month. Union Supply Direct is the only approved delivery partner for correctional facilities, so all packages must be sent using their service.

An inmate can receive property packages monthly like electronics and other things as long as it’s within the Property Program Catalog list. For faith items like clothing and such, it also has its own catalog that needs to be followed. For any given holidays, inmates can also receive food packages, as long as it’s within the catalog guidelines.

Inmates can also receive cash, via approved outlets like Western Union, money order and regular mail. An inmate will have a JPay Account, which their family and friends can fund for inmates to purchase music or games and to send and receive emails as well. With those credits, inmates can also purchase a player, movies and other accessories as well. It also has a way to do a video visitation for an inmate in case their loved ones or friends can’t come personally to visit them.

How Do I Apply For Visitation For An Inmate In Washington? 

A visitor application form is required for every visitor looking to spend time with their loved ones who are incarcerated in any correctional facility or county jail. Whether you have a minor with you or you’re all adults, each must accomplish the application form before proceeding. Each visitor must have their documents ready before filling out the form to speed up the process.

All forms are processed within a month in general, but not always. If you want to inquire about the status, please wait for a month at most before asking for a status update.

Each correctional facility has their own schedule and guidelines when it comes to visiting hours and other details. Corrections officers have the right to escort any visitor out of the premises when they violate any guidelines.

What Are The Visitation Rules?

For visitation rules, any visitor that’s 18 and up must present a valid id, like their driver’s license, state ID card, passport, military or any government identification and other valid IDs.

A visitor must be on the inmate’s Approved Visitor List before they can proceed, this is applicable for both an adult and any minors. A person that’s removed from the list will need to wait for around 90 days before applying to visit. The waiting period can be waived if the individual never visited the person who’s list they were removed from or if they never really visited in the last 90 days.

If someone has been denied initially on being on the approved list, they will be notified in writing for the reason why they were denied. If it’s a professional visitor like an inmate’s attorney, they will still need to get in touch with their client’s correctional facility.

For Extended Family Visits or EFV, the main purpose of this is to allow visits between the prisoner and their family members in a private housing unit. It’s main purpose is to hopefully help prisoners get on the right track, help relationships between family members and thus put the prisoner in the right state of mind. To be eligible, immediate family members must present legal documentation of their relationship with the prisoner. This form will be filled out by the inmate and his/her family members who’re applying for the EFV. Once it’s done, it should be submitted to the facility’s Housing Unit. For the required documents and paperwork, it must be mailed to the WA DOC address.

Since there’s a lot of things that have to be met for the EFV, expectations must be set that this process is pretty lengthy, since it also considers the inmate’s crime. If the offense is a serious one, the EFV review committee will still need to consider if it’s going to be approved or not.